Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The beginning of Neighborhood Ministry

In July a group of us decided to start praying at 5 :30 am daily. It wasn't so much for a plan, formula, or for anything bigger than just praying together. It led us to begin to pray for change in the lives of people in Northwest Indiana.
We didn't have an idea or plan of how this might happen we were just praying that it would happen. Between those of us who were praying we had seen the affects of sin in peoples lives who lived in this area. Some different ideas surfaced but nothing concrete or long lasting happened.
Then one day in September I was sitting in my house on a Monday morning. The day before I had interviewed at a church out of the area and had felt pretty clear God had closed the door of us going to this church. I was upset and angry but knew that this was not the direction God had for my life. I wanted to know if that wasn't it what was it? What was I suppose to do?
I felt a small voice say go pray for your neighbors. I live in a typical middle class subdivision and most of the people in my subdivision actually work and are gone during the day. I was puzzled by what ths voice I attributed to God was telling me to do.
Then I realized that there was a trailer park at the outside of my subdivision. This park had a horrible reputation in my neighborhood and had known sex offenders living in it.
I thought is this really God telling me to go to this trailer park? I thought well it is better than feeling sorry for myself. I wasn't entirely thrilled or thinking anything would come out it.
I called up our church maintance man Doug and he I went to the trailer park named the Park.
It is a park of 14 trailers most of them built between 1950-1970. We nervously went up to numerous trailers and were turned down by different people including a blind lady.
We asked each of the people if we could pray with them and they told us no.
I was furious after being turned down by the blind lady. Here I had obeyed God and done what I thought was right and everyone didn't want prayer.
At this point in time Doug asked if he could knock and ask to pray at the next trailer. I said absolutely. We agreed that this would be the last trailer. A 20-30 something amle came to the door. He said we could come in if we really wanted to and pray with him. He wasn't excited but he wasn't mean. We had a hour+ long talk with him and found out about his life. He was a convicted sex offender, had all sorts of other different issues in his past life including drug abuse, trying to commit suicide, and being sexually abused as a child. He shared these all these struggles with us. We ended up praying for him and another gentleman that first day. The second gentleman was drunk and told us about his drinking issues. He told us how he wanted God to take away the taste of alcohol from his mouth and kneeled down at my feet and prayed with me.
We thought this would be the end of the story but that was three months ago and it turned out to be only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment