Saturday, December 26, 2009

Meeting Destiny

Again after the winterizing of the trailer project we didn't have a plan to go back into the park. Monday Doug recieved a call from Robert. Robert was delivering an eviction notice to a women in the park and when he went to the park found the women in the midst of an overdose. Robert didn't know what to do or who to call. Doug was the first person who came to mind.
Doug called me and we tried to find a women to go with us. We tried but couldn't find anyone, so it was him and I answering. We entered the trailer to find a women lying in the fetal position in the corner of the room. Her two kids were running around with a dog. She was going in and out of consciousness.
In the midst of this life and death situation Destiny was cutting the little boy's hair. We asked Destiny if she would go to the hospital. She answered only after the little boys hair was cut. I looked at Doug and he agreed to go into the bathroom and finish the haircut.
The older boy had special needs. The boys were approximately 7 and 4. They also needed to be dressed in order for all of us to go to the hospital. I was helping the older boy put his shoes on when I began to cry. The boy asked me what the matter was? I explained that his mommy was very sick and we needed to help her.
It occured to us that we needed a place for the boys to go if we were going to take Destiny to the hospital.
destiny told us between labored breaths that her mom was planning on getting the boys to buy them Halloween costumes. The grandmother wasn't going to be there for another 45 minutes.We didn't know if Destiny would last that long. Destiny told us her mom worked at the hospital. That solved the problem.
As we packed up the boys to go to the hospital, Destiny grabbed the dog and struggled to tell us that the dog had to go outside to the bathroom. Destiny was standing on the steps of her trailer when she passed out again. This time she was standing up and passed out right on Doug.
He caught her and tpicked her up and manuvered her ackwardly into his car.
Meanwhile I was trying to catch the dog and gather the boys. If it wasn't so intense it would have seemed quite humorous.
We finanlly caught everyone where they needed to be and proceeded to the hospital. On the way I asked the boys if they prayed at night and they nodded their heads yes. I asked if they would pray for their mommy? They responded yes. We prayed and as we were praying I thought this could be the last conversation they have with her. I started crying again.
We arrived at the hospital and grabbed a wheelchair so we wouldn't have a repeat of trying to get Destiny into the car.
We met the grandma at the hospital, Doug took Destiny into the hospital room and I took the boys to the grandma. After getting to the grandmother she said "no offense, but who the hell are you?" It was a legitimate question. I didn't have a great answer. I tried to explain how we had went to pray with people met Robert and he had introduced us to Destiny. She had a more confused look on her face. I explained how I was a pastor and we just cared and wanted to help.
She was thankful and apologetic, we had done our job and then we left Destiny at the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. What a heart breaking wonderful picture of how we are to love like Jesus..Reminds me of the song Love them like Jesus carry them to him. His yonk is easy his burden is light. Keep up the good work.I will meet with you in the throne room as we pray for countless others like Destiny and her family

    ReplyDelete